When Jesus was around He mentioned some special people He’d like us to make sure we care for.
Yes, He wants us to care for everyone as best we can, to love our neighbours as ourselves, to share His hope with all who come across our path.
Through the years I’ve seen certain people mentioned in a few different venues – Bible verses, articles, devotionals, books, sermons, etc.
And I’ve been doing the research, shaping this idea that grabbed hold of me many moons ago – all the while knowing I’d share it with you when it was ready.
I’ve field-tested many of the ideas with my family, friends, camp groups, church groups – whoever would listen 🙂
There are ideas for giving at no cost to yourself whatsoever – I love this because sometimes there just isn’t enough to go around, but the desire to help others still remains, right?
And there are ideas for giving at little cost to you – I love this because sometimes there is enough, and it doesn’t take much to make a difference around the globe.
I love how giving feels and I love how it spreads.
I think it’s because we were just born to do it.
So whether it’s a smile to encourage someone, a hug to comfort someone, a wave to greet someone, a free giving idea, or a $10 giving idea – how about we give it a try and see what happens?
I know so many of you already give in ways you don’t even realize. You make a difference without even trying. Good on ya.
But I still want to share this idea 😉
A bit of background…
Those people Jesus asked us to take special care of and Bible verses to back it up…
- Hungry, Thirsty, Strangers – For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in – Matthew 25:35
- Naked, Sick, Prisoners – I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. – Matthew 25:36
- Orphans, Widows – Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. – James 1:27
- Lost – For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost. – Luke 19:10
- Poor, Blind, Oppressed – The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free – Luke 4:18
- Crippled, Lame – But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind – Luke 14:13
- Lepers, Deaf – The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. – Matthew 11:5
That’s 15 people groups altogether – the Poor, Oppressed, and Lost are included in all the other people groups, so this leaves 12 groups.
12 groups provides us with an opportunity to focus on a different group each month of the year.
Or so my thinking goes 🙂
Then I found there are special days on the calendar to go along with remembering each of these special people groups. It is so good to know the focus is already there in many cases – it’s just a matter of plugging into what others are already doing 🙂
January 29th is World Leprosy Day
There is a wonderful group who ministers to those with leprosy…
Free Giving Idea: Collect stamps and mail them to effect:hope – stamp dealers pay for the used stamps and money is used to care for and cure someone with leprosy. More info here.
$10 – $15 Giving Ideas:
And so you see… whether it’s collecting stamps and mailing them to effect:hope once in a while, or it’s donating money for a cane or hospital supplies… you can certainly make a difference to those with leprosy around the world.
Feels great! 🙂
This idea is simply to make us more aware. Some of us help others in so many ways already, and some of us just need to find a place to start. Wherever you’re at – blessings on you as you reach out 🙂
Here’s a breakdown of the focus for upcoming months of giving…
- February – Sick
- March – Lame
- April – Deaf
- May – Hungry
- June – Widows
- July – Strangers
- August – Prisoners
- September – Naked
- October – Blind
- November – Orphans
- December – Thirsty